● The Varsity Cheer and Song Squads will consist of 9th -12th graders with the necessary skills as set forth by the coaches expectations.
● The Junior Varsity teams will consist of 9th - 11th graders. Seniors may compete on the JV competition team
● IMPORTANT: 12th graders must score high enough to make the Varsity Team in order to be part of the program.
● Mandatory tryout clinics will be held for both Cheer and Song on two days:
○ April 17th - Cheer 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM (Gym) ARRIVE EARLY TO REGISTER
○ April 19th - Cheer 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM (Gym)
○ April 19th - Song 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM (Dance Room) ARRIVE EARLY TO REGISTER
○ April 20th - Song 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM (Gym)
○ Optional - April 21st - Song 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM (Dance Room)
● Meet outside the Gym for check in.
● PARENTS: please do not plan on staying. Please allow your athlete to make new friends and do what they need to do to bond with other athletes and the coaches. Please be prompt in picking up your athlete.
● Students trying out are required to show up to clinics and the tryout day wearing workout clothes. This includes shorts, shirts/tanks, socks, hair in a ponytail and athletic/jazz shoes. This is extremely important because many of the things that we plan to teach will not be easy to learn or do if an individual is not arriving in the appropriate attire.
● Water bottles are encouraged.
Day of Tryouts
● Cheer Tryouts are on Friday April 21st
○ Cheer Times TBD (varies based on the #’s and callbacks)
● Song Tryouts are on Saturday April 22nd
○ Song Times TBD (varies based on #’s and callbacks)
● Tryout day you must present yourself in a very professional manner. You may wear a colored bow and do your hair however you would like (no hair in your face, should be pulled back) and makeup is recommended
● NO LOGOS of previous team names (not even ANHS)
● CHEER: black shorts and a plain white top (fitted t-shirt or tank)
● SONG: Black shorts/spandex/jazz pants or capris and a plain back fitted top
Rules for the Tryout Process:
● Tryout clinics and the tryout itself are ABSOLUTELY CLOSED. No friends, family, guardians, guests or pets allowed.
● PARENTS OR PAST MEMBERS OF PEP TEAMS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PRESENT DURING TRYOUTS!
● Coaches and senior helpers cannot spend extra time with your child outside of the clinic. The students are encouraged to get together among themselves to practice the material.
On the Day of Tryouts:
● Each individual will check in and receive an assigned number to wear.
● Once students arrive at the tryouts, they MAY NOT leave early. Oftentimes callbacks are necessary and if the student leaves, they will lose their shot at making the team.
● Water and snacks/lunch are encouraged as the tryout process can take hours to complete.
Breakdown of Tryout Scores:
● 65% skill levels to include motions, tumbling, stunting, and jumps (as appropriate for your team)
● 35% showmanship
Finding Out Who Makes It:
● The teams will be posted on the Pep Squad website by NUMBER, not by name. Following that, an email will be sent to those that made it informing them of the upcoming fittings and practices.
● At no time during the day of tryouts will a coach speak with a parent. If you have a concern or issue, you may take it up with the advisor at a later date.
● As a parent, you must accept that the tryout decision is final. You will not contact Andrew Mashburn, any of the coaches, or any booster members to ask why your athlete did not make it. Tryouts are based on TALENT and SPECIFIC SQUAD NEEDS.